Gorgopotamos is one of the most beautiful villages of the prefecture of Fthiotida and is located about 16 km southeast of Loutra. The village is built at the foot of Mount Iti and in height of 35m, surrounded by greenery, natural beauty and crystal clear waters of the river Gorgopotamos. The name of the village is due to the river “Gorgopotamos” that flows near the village and ends at Sperchios river.
Above the village is the historic bridge of Gorgopotamos, that connects the two sides of Iti and on which crosses the railway line Athens - Thessaloniki.
One of the most glorious pages of the modern history of Greece was written in this bridge. On the night of November 25, 1942, resistance groups in collaboration with an English echelon, under the command of Colonel Mayer, blew up the bridge, causing long delays in crossing the Germans, who pressed the allies in Africa.
The Greek government in 1982 established the Blow up of the Gorgopotamos Bridge as an official celebration of the Greek National Resistance and as date of celebration, the date of blowing up the bridge.